What, Browncoats ask questions? OK, here’s some answers from the Cortex.
- What is the Browncoat Ball?
- The Browncoat Ball is a weekend-long gathering for fans of Firefly and Serenity, featuring a banquet dinner and fancy dress ball on Saturday night inspired by the ball in the episode “Shindig.” We don’t have featured guests like a science fiction convention does – it’s just us fans! Which is not to say famous folks aren’t invited. They just have to buy a ticket like everyone else.
- How many people usually attend the Ball?
- It’s a small event, averaging 100-120 attendees each year. The 2012 Albuquerque Browncoat Ball can accommodate up to 175 people. We aren’t guaranteeing any tickets will be available at the door. So buy your tickets early and often.
- How do people dress?
- During the daytime people dress casually, often in Firefly T-shirts, Hawaiian shirts, Jayne hats, etc. On Friday night we’ll have a Unification Day Renunciation Party in which people are encouraged to dress up as there favorite character from the ‘Verse, or someone you might meet there. However, costumes will not be required. During the day on Saturday you should dress appropriately for the touring track you have chosen. Wear good shoes if you will be doing a lot of walking. For the Ball itself on Saturday night, people generally dress up in evening wear. Some folks wear modern clothes, some go for historical costume, others bring Asian-influenced dress, and some arrive in ‘Verse-inspired clothing (Zoe’s slinky dress, anyone?). You might want to look at these sample photos from previous years to see what people wore:
San Francisco, 2006
- What is the weather going to be like?
- September in Albuquerque is likely to be quite warm during the day, however temperatures drop rapidly after sunset. We recommend bringing a jacket for the evenings and for traveling in the mountains. According to weather records, the average high temperature is 80 F and the average overnight low temperature is 59 F. As we get closer to the Ball, we’ll be displaying the upcoming weather on the website to help with your travel/luggage planning.
- What are my food options?
- The main meal is the Saturday dinner buffet. We will have appetizers and a casual buffet at the opening reception along with a cash bar. Lunch is included with the Saturday tracks. If you have any dietary restrictions, please note them on the registration form to help us plan. The hotel restaurant will be open and we are collecting information on local eateries and canteenas so you won’t starve the rest of the weekend.
- Where can I learn more?
- Check out our blog, listen to our podcasts, and find out what people are saying on the forum.
- Do you need any help?
- Always. If you wish to do any volunteering for the 2012 BCB, please use this link: Contact Us.
- How do I get my ticket?
- Simple. Go to our tickets page and order as many as you want. You can even order a T-shirt if you can’t make the Ball.